Friday, October 12, 2012

The Last Time I Saw Elvis - Porch Sittin'

The Last Time I Saw Elvis. Another Porch Sittin' theme mix. I put this together a few years back around Elvis' birthday. It includes songs about Elvis, songs associated with Elvis covered by others and a few Elvis performances. The mix title is from the opening line of the first song on the mix by Neil Young.

The last time I saw Elvis
He was shooting at a color TV
The phones were ringing in the pink motel
And the rest is history
He was the King


I had a lot of material to work with and I actually have a second part of this mix ready to go. I'll post it later.

This was a fun mix to make and I think it strikes a nice balance of tribute and commentary. It starts off with a Neil Young story about Elvis and a couple of my favorite Elvis songs. Then we have a couple of guitar heroes doing their Elvis thing that also includes Rod Stewart singing with Jeff Beck. There is a quote from Rod Stewart later in the mix. Mojo Nixon and Dread Zeppelin due some funny commentary followed by a little Elvis imitator action. Elvis himself comes back for another one of my favorite performances and then some more songs that refer to Elvis, Graceland and Memphis. Gillian Welch does a wonderful heartfelt song followed by Loudon Wainwright III yucking it up. The mix closes with some Elvis style rockabilly from some fans and ends with the king himself. Yes, he was the one. Elvis needs boats.

 A link to listen is available on Mixcloud.

  
1.   Neil Young - He Was The King
2.   Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
3.   Elvis Presley - Little Sister
4.   Link Wray - Blue Suede Shoes (Live)
5.   Jeff Beck Group - All Shook Up
6.   Mojo Nixon & Skip Roper - Elvis Is Everywhere
7.   Dread Zeppelin - Heartbreaker (At The End Of Lonely Street)
8.   Steve Goodman - Elvis Imitators
9.   El Vez - It's Now Or Never
10. Elvis Presley - Burning Love
11. Paul Simon - Graceland
12. John Hiatt - Memphis In The Meantime
13. R.E.M. - Man On The Moon
14. Dire Straits - Calling Elvis
15. Gillian Welch - Elvis Presley Blues
16. Loudon Wainwright III - Happy Birthday Elvis
17. Pete Yorn - Suspicious Minds (Dawn Version)
18. Wanda Jackson - My Baby Left Me
19. Buddy Love - Heartbreak Hotel
20. Janis Martin - My Boy Elvis
21. Elvis Presley - I Was The One



No comments:

Post a Comment