Saturday, February 2, 2013

I Got My Mojo Working - Decade 1

They got their mojo working. A collection of early 60s British Invasion bands and some US groups trying to sound British while covering American R&B, soul and blues. It seemed like all the great British bands from the time started out covering American black music. I've selected a sampling here. Some are obscure and others were big hits. It makes for a fun listen.

The list of bands here is a who's who of the first British Invasion and some great American bands too. They took that early American R&B, blues and music and made something different from it. Rock. This is the beginning of that process. I added this to my Happy Hour series of mixes that focus on garage rock.

Mixcloud link to listen is below.


  1. The Zombies - I Got My Mojo Working
  2. The Yardbirds - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
  3. The Rolling Stones - Can I Get A Witness
  4. The Kinks - Dancing In The Street
  5. The Who - (Love Is Like A) Heatwave
  6. The Beatles - Money
  7. Them - Out Of Sight
  8. The Spencer Davis Group - I Can't Stand It
  9. The Hollies -Lucille
  10. The Swinging Blue Jeans - Hippy Hippy Shake
  11. Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
  12. The Animals - See See Rider
  13. The Pretty Things - Midnight To Six Man
  14. The Remains - My Babe
  15. Shadows of Knight - Oh Yeah
  16. The Rascals - In The Midnight Hour
  17. The Vagrants - Respect
  18. The Small Faces - Shake
  19. The Searchers - I'll Be Doggone
  20. The Action - I'll Keep Holding On
  21. Dave Clark Five - I Like It Like That
  22. Paul Revere & The Raiders - Maybelline
  23. The Beach Boys - In The Still Of The Night
  24. The Moody Blues - Go Now




No comments:

Post a Comment