Saturday, June 13, 2020

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

The What When Book List 1970 - 2020

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, 1970

I read this book in June 1976 after a long conservation with several Native American activist from the Midwest who were in Philadelphia to take part in demonstrations and protest associated with the ongoing Bicentennial activities throughout the city in the Spring of 1976.

At the time Becky was living around the corner from my house. Across the street from her was a house full of radical students who were hosting the members of A.I.M. (American Indian Movement). Since they were friends with some of the people in Becky's house they asked if a couple of the Native American activist could stay there too which is how I met the group. One of the people there was a cousin of AIM activist leader Dennis Banks.

So after my conversations with members of the AIM group I read this book. The whole experience was a real eye opener. I also wrote a research paper for a class on the media coverage of the American Indian Movement and the Bicentennial celebrations issues the following semester. 

The book was very intense and heartbreaking.  I have always been interested in reading history and the author certainly did his homework gathering the facts which included the systematic slaughter of the native population. 

No comments:

Post a Comment