Saturday, November 19, 2011

60 Albums 1997

Here is another list of 60 favorite albums from my collection and this time the year of release is 1997. The year was another interesting mix of the various types of music that I'm drawn to and I have picked Radiohead as my favorite followed by Bob Dylan. I'm not sure I would have picked Radiohead as the top album if I was making the list back in late 1997. I really liked the album but I think it has really stood the test of time and is something that I come back to over and over. I always enjoy listening to it. It's also interesting that it is probably the commercial high point of Radiohead and they followed it up with a series of exciting but noncommercial albums since then. They continue to be one of my all time favorite bands.

It was wonderful to see Bob Dylan making great albums again and Time Out of Mind is one of my favorites . I recently looked at my collection to see which band or artist I had the most albums in my collection and it was Bob Dylan by far with over 30 albums. I think almost everything he's released is worth having.

The other album here I'll comment on is that 60's soul box set. I usually don't put box sets in my list of 60 but this was such a great collection. It was an essential addition even though I already had a lot of the songs. Six CDs of soulful bliss from the 60s.

Lots of old favorites reappear again along with some new additions to my collection of artist.
  1. Radiohead - OK Computer
  2. Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
  3. Various Artists - Beg, Scream & Shout: The Big Ol' Box of 60's Soul
  4. The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Give It Back
  5. Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
  6. Steve Earle - El Corazon
  7. Elliot Smith - Either/Or
  8. Greg Brown - Slant 6 Mind
  9. Chris Whitley - Living With The Law
  10. Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
  11. Pixes - Death to the Pixies
  12. Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On
  13. Whiskeytown - Stranger's Almanac
  14. Calexico - Spoke
  15. Oasis - Be Here Now
  16. Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Arkology
  17. Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing
  18. Blur - Blur
  19. Son Volt - Straightaways
  20. Pavement - Brighten the Corners
  21. Bob Marley - Dreams of Freedom: Ambient Translations in Dub
  22. The Verve - Urban Hymns
  23. The Walkabouts - Nighttown
  24. Morphine - Like Swimming
  25. David Bowie - Earthling
  26. Jim White - The Mysterious Tale of How I Shouted Wrong-Eyed Jesus!
  27. Guided By Voices - Mag Earwhig!
  28. Tindersticks - Curtains
  29. John Hiatt - Little Head
  30. Galaxie 500 - Copenhagen
  31. Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain
  32. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
  33. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
  34. Love Spit Love - Trysome Eatone
  35. The Charlatans - Tellin' Stories
  36. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
  37. Richard Buckner - Devotion & Doubt
  38. Paul McCartney - Flaming Pie
  39. Portishead - Portishead
  40. Tarnation - Mirador
  41. The Jayhawks - Sound of Lies
  42. Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Barafundle
  43. Ani DiFranco - Living in Clip
  44. Old 97's - Too Far To Care
  45. Ray Wylie Hubbard - Dangerous Spirits
  46. 16 Horsepower - Low Estate
  47. Superchunk - Indoor Living
  48. Dar Williams - End of Summer
  49. Neko Case & Her Boyfriends - The Virginian
  50. Super Furry Animals - Radiator
  51. John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp
  52. Robert Wyatt - Shleep
  53. Bjork - Homogenic
  54. Mogwai - Young Team
  55. Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
  56. Holly Golightly - Painted On
  57. The Apples in Stereo - Tone Soul Evolution
  58. The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
  59. Freedy Johnston - Never Home
  60. Daft Punk - Homework

No comments:

Post a Comment