Friday, December 9, 2011

House Party 1968

This is my first posting of an actual mix of 60 songs to this blog. This mix will run for about three hours so I'm breaking it up into three parts for listening on Mixcloud. This is a throwback mix to my very early days spinning records as a high school kid in Philadelphia. I was an obsessive collector starting in the mid 60s. I visited record stores and read everything I could find on new music. I had my first job in 1968 making decent money back then working in a machine shop shoveling the hot chips flying off the lathes. Most of my pay went for buying records and going to shows. During that summer I was checking out the West Coast bands playing at the original Electric Factory down on Arch Street, hanging out downtown at the head shops on Samson Street and groovin' at the Be-Ins in Fairmount Park. There were also many house parties in the neighborhood and I was the guy with the music so I got invited along with my box of 45s.


I had playlist of stuff that worked good at these parties but this was not some DJ setup that would evolve later on. There would just be a record player with a changer that would play a stack of singles in the order they were placed on the spindle.

So long before mixes were created on mp3 playlist, burned CDs and cassettes there was the carefully selected stack of 7" 45 rpm singles sitting on a record changer. The mix listed here is taken from my collection of 45s from 1968 which I still have. In fact I probably still have every single, album, tape and CD that I have be accumulating for about 46 years now. I've never sold or gotten rid of anything from my collection much to my wife's chagrin.

This mix here is a sample of our neighborhood party music. Lots of soul music and especially Motown. We also played lots of what would later be called Nuggets. People loved to dance so everything here had the house shaking. Not all the parties were non stop dancing and more and more albums of head music were getting played but that is another post and another mix.

So here it is. House party music from my stack of 45s in 1968.

Soon to be available on Mixcloud.
  1. Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley
  2. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations
  3. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes
  4. Too Many Fish In The Sea - The Marvelettes
  5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips
  6. I'll Be Doggone - Marvin Gaye
  7. This Old Heart Of Mine - The Isley Brothers
  8. There Is - The Dells
  9. Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
  10. I Thank You - Sam & Dave
  11. Land Of A Thousand Dances - Wilson Pickett
  12. Funky Broadway Pt. 1 - Dyke & The Blazers
  13. Boogaloo Down Broadway - The Fantastic Johnny C
  14. Ain't Nothin' But A House Party - The Showstoppers
  15. Mickey's Monkey - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
  16. (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandallas
  17. Jenny Take A Ride - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
  18. I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles
  19. Twist and Shout - The Beatles
  20. Peppermint Twist - Joey Dee & The Starlighters
  21. You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells
  22. South Street - The Orlons
  23. Keep On Dancing - The Gentrys
  24. Dance Dance Dance - The Beach Boys
  25. Barbara Ann - The Beach Boys
  26. Shake A Tail Feather - Five Du-Tones
  27. The 81 - Candy & The Kisses
  28. Get On Up - The Esquires
  29. Cool Jerk - The Capitols
  30. Some Kind Of Wonderful - Soul Brothers Six
  31. Gimme Some Lovin' - The Spencer Davis Group
  32. Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
  33. Fire - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  34. I Got The Feelin' - James Brown
  35. Think - Aretha Franklin
  36. Reach Out I'll Be There - The Four Tops
  37. Needle In A Haystack - The Velvelettes
  38. Just A Little Misunderstanding - The Contours
  39. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
  40. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder
  41. Shake and Fingerpop - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
  42. Expressway To Your Heart - The Soul Survivors
  43. I'm A Man - The Spencer Davis Group
  44. (We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet - The Blues Magoos
  45. Mony Mony - Tommy James & The Shondells
  46. Nobody But Me - The Human Beinz
  47. Over Under Sideways Down - The Yardbirds
  48. Little Girl - Syndicate of Sound
  49. 96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians
  50. Suzie Q - Creedence Clearwater Revival
  51. Little Bit O' Soul - The Music Explosion
  52. Going To A Go-Go - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
  53. Dance To The Music - Sly & The Family Stone
  54. Devil With The Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
  55. Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
  56. Gloria - The Shadows of Knight
  57. I Can't Help Myself - The Four Tops
  58. Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandallas
  59. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
  60. Ooo Baby Baby - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles




No comments:

Post a Comment