Thursday, January 26, 2012

60 Albums 1989

Time to get back to listing my favorite albums of all the years I've been collecting and here is 1989. This was the year I had my brain aneurysm surgery and I seemed to spend much of it on my back. Sean was also born that year and much of the time he was laying on my chest as I laid on my back while Katie was standing there next to the couch looking at my head. Becky kept it all together and I was lucky to fully recover but it took about a year to feel normal again. I spent a lot of the year laying around the house listening to music but because I wasn't working a whole lot that year I wasn't going out and spending money on new music.  A lot of my music from my collection over the years got me through this rough time but there were a few new albums that I got that had an immediate healing affect on me and that was especially true of the Stone Roses. Other albums that I got during that time was the XTC, Cure, Peter Case, Nanci Griffith, Blue Rodeo, Dylan, FYC, Chris Isaak... well really most of the top 20. This was also the time when I really wanted to know if my brain was still working and I started looking into going to graduate school and trying to figure out what I was really interested in after almost ten years of working selling art supplies. By the end of the year I was on my way to a new career as a librarian.

Lots of great stuff here.
  1. The Stones Roses - The Stone Roses
  2. XTC - Oranges & Lemons
  3. Pixies - Doolittle
  4. The Cure - Disintegration
  5. Peter Case - The Man With The Blue Postmodern Fragmented Neotraditionalist Guitar
  6. Blue Rodeo - Diamond Mine
  7. Elvis Costello - Girls Girls Girls
  8. Nanci Griffth - Storms
  9. Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World
  10. Bob Mould - Workbook
  11. Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians - Queen Elvis
  12. Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw & The Cooked
  13. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic
  14. Marshall Crenshaw - Good Evening
  15. Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
  16. Galaxie 500 -  On Fire
  17. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
  18. BoDeans - Home
  19. Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
  20. The The - Mind Bomb
  21. Julee Cruise - Floating Into The Night
  22. Exene Cervenka - Old Wive's Tales
  23. Peter Gabriel - Passion (Music For The Last Temptation Of Christ)
  24. New Order - Technique
  25. Kate Bush - The Sensual World
  26. Lou Reed - New York
  27. Daniel Lanois - Arcadie
  28. Stan Ridgeway - Mosquitoes
  29. James McMurtry - Too Long In The Wasteland
  30. Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls
  31. The Jayhawks - Blue Earth
  32. Meat Puppets - Monsters
  33. The Connells - Fun & Games
  34. Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire
  35. Yo La Tengo - President Yo La Tengo
  36. Leo Kottke - My Father's Face
  37. John Mellencamp - Big Daddy
  38. Soul II Soul - Club Classics, Volume One
  39. k.d. lang - Absolute Torch and Twang
  40. Bauhaus - Swinging The Heartache: The BBC Sessions
  41. The Replacements - Don't Tell A Soul
  42. Let's Active - Cypress/Afoot
  43. The Godfathers - More Songs About Love & Hate
  44. Bongwater - Too Much Sleep
  45. Pere Ubu - Cloudland
  46. Van Morrison - Avalon Sunset
  47. Squeeze - Frank
  48. Paul McCartney - Flowers In The Dirt
  49. Faith No More - The Real Thing
  50. The Flaming Lips - Telepathic Surgery
  51. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Volume 2
  52. The Mekons - The Mekons Rock 'n' Roll
  53. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
  54. Love Tractor - Themes From Venus
  55. Tuck & Patti - Love Warriors
  56. Slint - Tweez
  57. Tin Machine - Tin Machine
  58. Poi Dog Pondering - Poi Dog Pondering
  59. Television Personalities - Privilege
  60. UB40 - Labour Of Love II

Here a few compilation album from my collection released in 1989.

  1. The Rolling Stones - The Singles Collection: The London Years
  2. The Band - To Kingdom Come: The Definitive Collection
  3. The Kinks - Greatest Hits
  4. Velvet Underground - The Best of the Velvet Underground
  5. Todd Rundgren - Anthology 1968-1985
  6. Opal - The Early Recordings
  7. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - Rev Up: The Best of Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
  8. John Hiatt - Y'all Caught: The Ones That Got Away 1979-1985
  9. Nick Lowe - Basher: The Best of Nick Lowe
  10. Flamin' Groovies - Groovies Greatest Grooves
  11. Tommy James & The Shondells - Anthology
  12. The Selecter - Selected Selecter Selections
  13. Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - 1984-1989
  14. Jack Bruce - Willpower: A Twenty Year Retrospective
  15. Rosanne Cash - Hits 1979-1989
  16. The Style Council - The Singular Adventures of the Style Council
  17. Jesse Winchester - The Best of Jesse Winchester
  18. Various Artists - Brazil Classics 1: Beleza Tropical
  19. Tangerine Dream - The Best of Tangerine Dream
  20. Various Artists - The African Variations

No comments:

Post a Comment