Thursday, September 29, 2016

Vinyl Spins - Zappa

The Mothers of Invention's Freak Out released in June 1966 was the first full album I went out and bought with my own money. I had been buying singles but this was different. This was a 2 LP set. I used some money from my birthday or Christmas and got it in early 1967 after reading  an interesting review somewhere. I was 15 and very impressionable.

The first song Those Hungry Freaks Daddy had me. I was hooked. Who Are The Brain Police, Help I'm A Rock, Your Probably Wondering Why I'm Here all had me wondering what the heck I was listening too but knew it was important.  I liked how the album was musically all over the place. I especially loved the doowop songs as much as the weird psychedelic music.

This was the beginning of a long appreciation of Frank Zappa and the start of a large collection of his work. I first saw The Mothers of Invention perform in 1969 at the Atlantic City Pop Festival.  Another memorable concert was seeing them in 1974 on the Apostrophe tour. The opening band that night was a very intense Mahavishnu Orchestra.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my story. I bought mine after reading a review in Hit Parader and smuggled onto the house in the fall of 66. The world was never the same.

    ReplyDelete