Monday, November 21, 2016

Vinyl Spins - First Reggae

It was cold up on the third floor today but I got some work done while spinning the hot reggae sounds of The Harder They Come soundtrack album featuring Jimmy Cliff released in 1972. This was the first of many reggae albums I would own on vinyl. I saw the film in a neighborhood repertory theater, the Band Box,  in 1973 with some friends and then went looking for the album.

I came to love the reggae sounds and built a large collection on vinyl and eventually CDs. In the mid to late 70’s we regularly saw Jamaican reggae bands play live at Grendel’s Lair on South Street in Philly where we spent many long sweaty smokey nights on the dance floor. Also one of the highlights of my live music experiences was seeing Bob Marley and the Wailers in concert.

I had made several cruises to the Caribbean islands during my time in the Navy including Jamaica. I heard and saw a lot of calypso, ska and other good time island sounds available to the tourist and servicemen but no dreadlocks, spliffs or hard trance reggae dub beats.

Here are several of my reggae night mixes








No comments:

Post a Comment