Monday, August 8, 2016

The Trolley Graveyard

Somewhere in rural Pennsylvania there is a plot of land set aside for the trolley graveyard. A place where trolley cars that have been discarded from the cities of the east come to a final rest. The green and yellow cars in the photo ran on multiple lines that crisscrossed through the Philadelphia neighborhoods of my youth and in particular the Germantown section where I lived. I rode two trolleys each way every day to high school. Two different lines were each about a block away from our house and they gave us access to the entire city. I was riding them regularly on my own long before I was a teenager. All the kids in the neighborhood did. Rode them to school, to go downtown, to go up the avenue, to the carnival side shows on Front St., to the museums on the Parkway, to the Phillies games at the old Connie Mack Stadium, to my Tuesday night Mummers string band practices, etc, etc. Later I even sometimes rode the trolley to classes at Temple University. I'm sure everyone in the neighborhood has plenty of stories about them. Yep, I miss those trolleys and we could sure use them now.

More info on the Trolley Graveyard
www.atlasobscura.com/places/windber-trolley-grave-yard

or Google "trolley graveyard Pennsylvania"



No comments:

Post a Comment